Borough of Manasquan, New Jersey

Borough of Manasquan Construction Department

8:30 AM to 4:00 PM (Monday through Friday)

Telephone: (732) 223.0544 Ext. 307
(732) 223.1300


Frank DiRoma - Department Head

Albert P. (Sandy) Ratz, Jr., Construction and Fire Subcode Official
Office Hours:  Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday – 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM

Electrical Subcode Official - Mark Heyer

Paul Rabenda - Plumbing Subcode Official

General Information
Inspection requests must be submitted through the Manasquan Construction
Department.  This may be done in person at the Construction Department Office,
Manasquan Borough Hall, 201 E. Main St., Manasquan, between the hours of
8:30 AM to 3:00 PM; by telephone - (732) 223-0544, Ext. 307 or by FAX (732) 223-1300.

Inspection requests must be received at least 24 hours, but no more than three days, prior to the requested inspection date.

No inspections will be conducted until all permit fees are paid.  No requests for
inspections will be accepted unless the permit is approved and issued by this office.

Work must be ready when inspection is requested.  If work is not ready, you will be liable for a “NOTICE OF VIOLATION.”  The UCC allows three working days for inspections.  To cancel inspections, please call as soon as possible.


Certificates of Occupancy will be issued within ten (10) working days.

Under no circumstances may any building be occupied or used until a Certificate of Occupancy / Approval is issued.



8:00 AM to 6:00 PM - Monday through Saturday, except legal holidays.

Dumpsters are not permitted on streets or roadways unless a permit is obtained from the Municipal Clerk’s office.  Permits will only be issued if it is impossible to place dumpster on private property

Reminder:  Home improvement contractors must register with the State of New Jersey and have a registration card and number before applying for permits.


Q:            Do I need a permit for a shed and/or fence?
A:            Zoning permits are required for all fences and sheds.

Q:            Do I need a permit for sidewalk, curb or driveway apron work?
A:            Yes

Q:            Do I need a permit for roofing or siding work?
A:            Yes

Q:            Do I need a permit for replacement windows?
A:            No
A:            If opening is altered, a permit will be needed.

Q:            Do I need a permit for central air conditioning?
A:            Yes, plus a zoning application with a copy of survey.

Q:            Do I need a permit for an outside shower enclosure?
A:            Yes, plus a zoning application with a copy of survey.

Q:            Do I need a permit for kitchen cabinetry:
A:            No

Any questions, call the Construction Department at (732) 223-0544, Ext. 307.

Back to top


A Transfer Certificate of Occupancy must be obtained prior to the closing and title change of real estate property in the Borough of Manasquan. When making arrangements for obtaining a Transfer Permit, please consider the following process:

1. Submit a completed application to the Code Enforcement Department, making certain that all requested information is provided along with the necessary fees.

2. At the time of submission, make arrangements for an inspection appointment. A checklist for this inspection may be obtained through this office.

3. Upon completion of the inspection you will be notified whether the property has been granted a Transfer Permit or whether violations have been cited.

If you should have any questions during this process, call the Code Enforcement Department at (732) 223-0544, ext. 307

Back to top


Q: Do I need a permit for.....

Shed or fence?    
     A: Zoning permits are required for all fences and sheds.

Sidewalk, curb or driveway apron work?
     A: Yes.

Roofing or siding work?
    A: Yes.

Replacement windows?
   A: No, unless opening is altered

Central Air conditioning?
    A: Yes. Zoning application with a copy of survey, and electrical permit.

Outside shower enclosure?    
     A: Yes. Zoning application, with copy of survey, and building permit.

Kitchen cabinetry?
   A: No

Q. How do I display my permit?

A: Under Borough Ordinance 1804, all issued permits must be displayed and visible from the street. Upon issuance of your permit you will be given a yellow placard to place in a conspicuous location, such as your front window.

Back to top

Please visit Manasquan’s Flood Information website for comprehensive information on knowing your flood hazard, flood insurance, flood safety, property protection, how to build responsibly, protecting natural floodplain functions as well as municipal resources available to you on flood protection and mitigation.

Manasquan’s Construction & Code Department offers the following services for property owners:

  • Copies of Elevation Certificates (if available)
  • Map Interpretations including flood zone determination, base flood elevations, hazard areas, flood depth data, historical flood data, hurricane and coastal flood inundation areas
  • Free technical assistance on flood protection, mitigation, insurance and financial assistance
  • Request a site visit to review flooding, drainage, and sewer problems as well as about how to protect your property from flooding. 

For any of the above services, or any questions regarding flooding, flood mapping, flood protection assistance or to request a site visit, please contact Manasquan’s Construction & Code Department at (732) 223-0544 ext. 307 or by visiting the second floor of Borough Hall.

For additional emergency preparedness information, please visit the Office of Emergency Management’s website at

For comprehensive flood preparedness, safety, protection, mitigation, insurance and financial information, please visit the National Flood Insurance Program’s official website at



Back to top

201 East Main Street • Manasquan, New Jersey 08736

Home | Text Menu | Privacy | Search